July 14, 2008

White lies

I was thinking today about an old friend of mine who was amazing at twisting the truth to the point where he conveyed what he wanted to say without outright lying, but at the same time, lying. One way to do this is to answer the question with an answer related to the original question, but that does not truly answer the question. Another method is to just provide a vague answer. Often, people will simply give an answer that can be interpreted in several ways.

I think that it would be difficult to completely avoid telling these sorts of lies, but at the same time I kind of resent people who do it often. Unfortunately, I think that part of the reason behind my resentment is my inability to do this very well. I'm usually a pretty honest person, and so it is difficult for me to come up with a split-second, believable white lie. Also, I definitely detest when these lies are used on me. I don't mind lies that preserve feelings (I think a better name for these types of lies is tact), but twisting the truth to suit your own personal desires usually breeds mistrust on my part.

No comments: