It's getting a bit ridiculous that it's so late and I'm still writing, but I'm kind of excited about my new blog and I've had a lot of time to think lately (what with no summer job and all). Lateness tends to bring out my silly side and therefore obliterates my usual grammar-focused mind (that's my way of asking you to please excuse any mistakes that you may or may not find in the ensuing text). I'm really not meant to be up this late. I think that if I were to just let my body sleep and wake up whenever it wanted, I'd be in bed by 10:00 every night and up by 6ish in the morning.
I've been thinking lately about how I sometimes feel like the man in the Biblical parable who only received one talent while there were others who got up to five. I really wish that I were musically inclined or artistically gifted. I wish I were smarter, prettier, more athletic...something!
Logically, I realize that if I want to have more talents, I should get out there and learn how to do these things. I should set goals for myself, take classes, and practice. It's so easy to just say to myself that it's too late though. I get to thinking that everyone else is so far ahead of me that there's no way I'll ever catch up. I should have started playing basketball when I was 5, not 23. I should have kept up with my piano lessons and continued taking dance classes when I was a little kid. It's easy to tell myself that my parents should have pushed me more, because I could have been this amazingly talented person if they had. Buuuuut, that's not the case, and I know it.
I'm trying to convince myself that it's not too late, and that I really should work on developing more talents and not just sit around waiting for them to come to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment