About 9 years ago, the family cat (Tinkerbell) gave birth to 5 kittens. My immediate favorite was a long-haired orange and white kitten. Dad told us that we could only keep one of the kittens and I was sadly outvoted since my sisters and my mom preferred a fuzzy calico.
As luck would have it, we had 2 kittens left and the last family to come and get a kitten really wanted the calico rather than the orange and white kitten. They took the calico and we kept the kitten that would eventually receive the (rather silly) name, Kittyboy. I loved this cat. He was absolutely beautiful and probably the friendliest cat I'd ever encountered. He was playful and sweet, but he also had spunk and personality.
Today, I received a text from my sister that she had been backing out of the driveway and he had not managed to get out of the way. He's usually really good at dodging cars; I don't understand what happened. Evidentially, he ran and hid under my mom's SUV in the garage. My mom and sisters were searching frantically for him when they heard a pitiful meow. They managed to get him out from under the vehicle and take him to the veterinarian where he would be x-rayed to determine the extent of the damage.
My dad is not particularly fond of cats and will most certainly not be expending hundreds of dollars on vet. bills. I really care for my cat, but I'll admit that I've been away from home for 5 years at this point, and I'm not as close to my little orange and white kitty as I used to be. However, my mom absolutely adores this cat and was devastated when this happened. She's been crying all day :(
I called home later on tonight to see what was going on and learned that Kittyboy has couple of broken pelvic bones. They think that he may be able to heal, but there are no guarantees. My dad's not willing to pay for the expensive diagnostic tests that it would take to determine if there is any further damage. (I don't really blame him.) I'm hoping that my poor little kitty is able to heal, but he absolutely detests being cooped up in one place. I can't imagine attempting to keep him from running about for several weeks. Poor kitty cat.
No comments:
Post a Comment