July 16, 2008

Summer Schedule

Thinking back to the very last day of school, I was so incredibly excited for summer. Those kids had all but driven me crazy during the last week of classes. They were going stir crazy, and I'd never felt more like a babysitter in my life. Now, looking back on the summer months, I'm feeling a bit depressed that summer is rapidly coming to a close, and I can't really say that I've accomplished anything other than tons of relaxation and a killer tan.

Don't get me wrong, I've absolutely loved my vacation this summer. However, I had plans to read classic literature, improve upon my cooking skills, and begin a workout routine at the gym. I had ideas about taking a class or two, looking at grad. schools, and other various productive things. I don't exactly feel like the summer has been wasted, but I've accomplished very few of my goals.

I think that part of this has to do with the fact that I'm always going places. Whether it's Myrtle Beach, Wilmington, Morehead City, New York, Florida, Greenville, Albertson, Beautancus, or Kinston, I've been on the go just enough that it's been nearly impossible for me to establish a productive routine. I've really enjoyed all of this traveling, but it would be nice to say that I'd made some progress on all of the aforementioned summertime goals.

Despite the inkling of guilt lurking in the back of my mind, the majority of me thinks that I really deserved a true vacation after putting up with the "most awful kids I've ever taught" (quote from a veteran math teacher who taught the same kids I did). I loved them (most of them) dearly, but I'm looking forward to a new, and hopefully slightly better-behaved bunch next year. Next summer, I'm gong to be productive. I'm going to set up a schedule. Who knows...maybe I'll be packing my bags to go off somewhere new for graduate school!

No comments: