I've finally seen Wicked and I would like anyone and everyone to know that it is (by far) the best Broadway play in the entire world, and I think that everyone should go and see it now.
My family and I were seated front and center, the way we like it. We were close enough to see the expressions on the cast members' faces. A gigantic, intricate map of Oz covered the stage while we waited--there was even a place marked as the burial spot of an unnamed munchkin. Everyone cheered as the lights in the theater dimmed and the familiar music began. I was prepared, having memorized practically every song years ago. I've been listening to the soundtrack recently to refresh my memory.
My eyes were glued to the stage from the moment the play began, and they did not stray even to look at the expressions on my family's faces (something I usually enjoy). Even though I drank an entire bottle of vitamin water beforehand, the thought of a bathroom break didn't even cross my mind. The singing was beautiful, and the costumes were elaborate. There's only so much you can put together using the music, and I was elated to finally put the missing puzzle pieces into the play that I adore.
The play quickly drew me in, and I felt as if I had been whirled away by tornado into the Land of Oz. My arms were covered in goose bumps during Defying Gravity and I truly empathized Elphaba as all of her hopes and dreams were crushed by the wizard. I love the lyrics to those songs and always find myself impressed with the words the author managed to rhyme. I can't wait to see this play again...someday!
1 comment:
I've always wanted to see that... Perhaps one day I can join you seeing it on Broadway again!
And yes - a beach trip is needed. I'll let you know when. And when are you leaving/getting back from Florida?
Post a Comment