September 13, 2008

Woe is me.

The reason I haven't posted on my blog in a while is actually not because I've been particularly busy or because I haven't had anything to say. It's because the internet at my apartment decided to stop working. I've had the internet guy over, and I've been on the phone a couple of times. For some reason, they say that the wi-fi connection won't work because my computer is a mac. I think this is a completely bogus explanation that they've thrown out there because they have no experience with macs and don't seem to know what to do with them. Anyways, I my internet connection randomly decides to work, and so occasionally, I can get online to do things for a few minutes.

I've noticed that there are about 3-5 kids in my classes who have colds right now. They ask for tissue after tissue and sneeze often. Also, I've had 2 come down with some kind of virus which left one stumbling up to the front of the classroom to call home one day and the other crying in class (because his parents couldn't come get him) with a bright red face. Luckily, I managed to avoid the virus, but I've come down with the cold and am feeling drained and stuffy right now.

Since I've been so tired, I haven't felt the desire to go out and do much of anything today. I've been watching the Nanny 911 marathon and it's addictive! It's kind of a silly show, and I find it hard to believe that the families actually implement the things the nannies tell them to do once they've left. Perhaps they do, but I find it sickly amusing to see how awfully some of these children behave and how their parents have no idea how to deal with them.

I had been thinking lately about how having children would have prepared me to be a teacher. I have a difficult time with lecturing and fussing at my students. Often, I tell a student to stop doing whatever it is that he/she is doing and don't take the time to explain why. I don't really know how to handle some of their behaviors and have little tolerance for some of their more obnoxious antics. I'm getting better, and I'm constantly asking for advice from other teachers. I'd like to think that I've greatly improved since last year, and I'm definitely more aware of how I react to children than I was last year. My reactions have a huge affect on how my students will behave.

While it's true that being a mother would have probably prepared me to deal with some of these things better, I'm grateful that I have the chance to do it the other way around. After watching Nanny 911, I'm thinking it was necessary that I accumulate experience in dealing with kids before I have children of my own. It's almost like a trial run. This way, hopefully I won't ever feel the need to call in an emergency nanny.

1 comment:

The Smith Trio said...

Yay I found your blog again. I have to say that my sister and I watch Nanny 911 all the time and it REALLY works. Evie has been the toughest of all the girls (not that they are all that bad) and as you might know my sister and bro-in-law do not, would not EVER spank there kinds. We do the time out chair (I believe she calls it the naughty chair), eye level thing and the minute thing and it's the ONLY thing that has gotten her to behave. Wow I sound like a mom. I just wanted you to know that you are not alone in this and I was also going to suggest AIRBORN during the cold season while you are teaching. It's really helped me with not getting colds and such so far this year.