September 2, 2008

Brain Dead

Today it was really hard to get up. This morning, my alarm went off and I opened my eyes to darkness. It made me realize that I really don't enjoy waking up in the dark. Going to bed in the dark is ideal, but I like to wake up to sunshine.

Anyways, I was really glad to have carefully prepared my lesson for today over the weekend, because I was not in the state of mind necessary to improvise. My kids weren't either. During first period, they stared at me with these "are you serious?" kinds of looks on their faces. The long weekend made me reminisce about summers of long, sunny days spent at the beach and the pool. It's almost cruel to give teachers a day off during the second week of school. They should at least wait until the third week, so we really need it and can appreciate it fully.

I had to watch 3 videos after school today. They were meant to train me about how to deal with sexual harassment, blood born pathogens (I really think they spelled bloodborn as one word, but my computer tells me that it is not a word), and seclusion/restraint in the school (evidentially, we're not supposed to put students in closets with no ventilation...who'd of thought?). Two of the videos were about 30 minutes long and the last took 15 minutes. I think my brain might be dead now. They weren't really videos. They were glorified PowerPoint presentations, all trussed up to look like videos with sound clips and automatic transitions.

2 comments:

ReL said...

HAHA! Dang it so much for the punishment...keep your kids out of the closets. That really doesn't make any sense that they have a day off so soon after school starts, perhaps they should start school a week earlier LOL.
And Adam is the guy I've been thinking a lot about lately :-D and mentioned in a few of my blogs.

Ashley said...

my favorite part of the seclusion/restraint video: "you should never force your students to eat their own vomit"...woww...really???~