August 12, 2008

Colors of the sun

I kind of feel like a well that's gone dry in that I really haven't had much to say over the past couple of days. As I was pondering this metaphor, I realized that part of this was due to the fact that I was putting too much pressure on myself to blog. I would think of something to write about and decide that I didn't have enough to say about it to take up an entire blog post. I would cast off ideas that seemed too stupid to post. How silly is that? It's a blog. It's supposed to be informal and it can contain anything I want to type.

Today I went to the pool to relax and get a bit of sun before school starts back. I decided that since it was 12:00 in the afternoon on a weekday, there wouldn't be many (or any) people there, and so I could wear a different swimsuit than the one I usually wear. You see, I now have such vivid tan lines that my body appears to have a permanent swimsuit tattoo, so I do have to consider these things.

The swimsuit I wore today was a bit lower cut in the front and in the back than the one which I have worn all summer and so I had visible glow-in-the-dark areas on my chest and back which have not seen the sun in over a year. It was all fine and dandy, because as I expected, there was only one other person at the pool when I arrived and I was able to pick a spot all the way across the pool so as to not blind her with my white skin.

Anyways, I haven't had to wear sunscreen since early June because my skin is tan enough to avoid burning. This is good considering that my family stole my sunscreen while we were on vacation and I have yet to recover it. I was excited to sit by the pool and read while taking occasional dips to keep cool. I'm used to the no sunscreen thing now, so I didn't even think about putting any on. However, I overlooked the fact that my new swimsuit left quite a bit of non-tan skin unprotected.

I now have new lines to boast. The golden tan on my back turns vibrant red as you make your way down. These colors melt away to an unnatural (vampiric) shade of white. I also have spots of lavender due to a couple of bruises (you should know, I'm clumsy). I'm a very colorful woman.

Strangely enough, the sunburn isn't burning right now. It's itching. I think I prefer itching to burning, but it's kind of embarrassing to be scratching those areas in public. My chest is awkward for obvious reasons, and when I attempt to scratch my back, I probably look utterly ridiculous because the sunburnt area is just out of my reach. I'm scratching currently. Maybe I should go look for the aloe, because all this scratching is making it burn.

There...that's a perfectly respectable blog post ;)

No comments: