August 7, 2008

Eating Habits

Today I was thinking about how horrible my eating habits are and how they will probably be my downfall when I am old. Let me start with a rundown of my meals today. I woke up at around 7 am and laid in bed for a bit of laziness before getting up and working on some things around my apartment while munching on a pack of fruit snacks. Unfortunately, I've run out of sour patch watermelons, so fruit snacks would have to do. A little while later, I picked up a book and began reading. I started to realize that I was a bit hungry at around 2:00, but I didn't know what I wanted to eat.

I think the strange thing about this is that because I didn't know what to eat, I simply didn't eat anything. At around 3:00, I realized that I was feeling slightly nauseated from lack of food. Grumpily, I made my way into the kitchen and quickly whipped up a grilled cheese sandwich. I added a few side dishes and made my way back to my book. It's about dinner time now, and I'm not hungry at all considering that I ate lunch (or was that breakfast?) so late.

I've come to realize that eating is not generally on my "To do" list. It shouldn't have to be as it's not something that people generally forget. Really, I don't forget to do it, but if there's something else that needs to be done, I'll procrastinate it. Who knew that my penchant for procrastinating would extend to eating!

Thinking about school last year, I realized that my eating habits were no better then. I would grab a granola bar and a cup of juice on the way to work. Then, I would eat a pack of peanut butter crackers and a slim jim for lunch. This was partly because I only had about a 15 minute break for lunch during which I was required to babysit my students, and partly because I spent my planning period attending meetings and pumping out lesson plans rather than eating. Usually I did manage to eat something somewhat substantial for dinner, but still...you get the point.

I'm not a terrible cook and I'm definitely not eating disordered. In fact, I even enjoy cooking and I love food. However, during the school year, I really don't have the time or energy for cooking. During the summer, I've found that I prefer baking cookies and other desserts rather than cooking meals. Maybe this is a sign that I really need a boyfriend. I eat better when I have a boyfriend, because I tend to cook a lot more in an attempt to feed him, thereby feeding myself as well.

1 comment:

LadyEm said...

Well, isn't that a pickle?! It really is hard to cook when you don't have time or energy, though. I myself have trouble turning off the hunger mechanism in my body, which is a problem when I don't feel like cooking but I do feel like eating! HAHA. Anyway, I liked this blog. Keep 'em coming.