September 12, 2012

Look What I Did.

This past weekend, we went to visit Jake's sister and her family.  It was a lot of fun being an aunt...I don't get a lot of practice with that around here.  When I visit my sister-in-law, I always come home with ideas of fun crafts and projects to try (she's pretty much a super mom and has tried just about everything cool). 

One of the nifty things I found was a grocery bag holder.  In a deep, dark corner of my kitchen, I shamefully hide a cabinet full of grocery bags.  It's nasty and a waste of space.  Thomas loves to open this particular cabinet and pull everything out of it on a regular basis. 

I asked my sil how she made it and was surprised to hear that she had bought it from Walmart for about $2--why would you bother making something that you can buy for so cheap? 

On Tuesday, I decided to search for my own grocery bag holder.  After quite a bit of searching, I found that they are called grocery bag "dispensers."  I wasn't able to find anything nearly so inexpensive (plus, I wanted something fun to do), so I decided to make one on my own.

I used some leftover fabric and elastic and voila--here's what I ended up with:
Cute, huh?

It's not as cute when filled with grocery bags.  If I were to make another one, I would probably make it wider.
I couldn't quite fit my entire collection of grocery bags in there, so there's a good chance I'll make another.  Still, I'm on my way to more cabinet space to fill with fun new kitchen gadgets...right Jake?




4 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh my gosh!!!!!! All my grocery bags are packed in to my cabinet under the sink. I LOVE this idea. But I can't sew. Hmmm...I might need to make a trip to Gville so you can help me :-)

Beth & Rob Bailey said...

good for you! see - pretty quick project. I like the fabric. mine was the best wm had...probably could update it. :)

Beth & Rob Bailey said...

agh - i forgot to prove i'm not a robot so i have to retype my comment. i just said that you did good, i like the fabric and it makes me want to remake mine (ugly fabric)

kim e said...

I love my grocery bag holder. Mine hangs in my pantry.